Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama Bin Laden: Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish

Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish

I had written and posted my Yom Hashoah (Holocaust Remembrance) blog when the news of Osama's death came via text message from my mother.  It was her on that September day who called me on the phone yelling, "turn on the TV, turn on the TV...."
As I watched the news on Bin Laden, I did not cheer or cry but reflected on the horror of 9-11 and how so many lives were forever changed.  His death cannot turn back time or replace lost lives or heal the rescue workers who are sick from particle inhalation.  However, I find the timing of his death appropriate.  April 30, 1945 was the date of Hitler's death.  So close.  Erie and uncanny yet JUST.

Spin the Rand McNally
Osama was a man who held our nation and other nations hostage.  It was not because he was a Muslim.  He was a radical, an extremist, an egomaniac hell bent on destruction of peace.  He supported genocide in Darfur, killed his OWN people--more Muslims than any other religious group, hated America, Israel, India, Africa...just give your Rand McNally a spin.

In between the news, I face-booked friends and read their comments--some of which I would like to share:

Ding Dong The Witch is Dead...

Vern posted:  "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead...Sorry...This will change nothing..."

Sheri wrote:  "He is dead.  Will this take back the events of 9/11?  Will it bring back all the soldiers killed in the hunt?  Will it end the fighting and bring our troops home?  I am having trouble finding much joy in any of it."

Mark said:  "Hooray, OSAMA is dead!  I give Pres. Obama credit for ordering the attack that resulted in his death.  (BTW, that is 100% more credit than Obama give GWB, whose tireless and courageous efforts set the stage for Obama taking the credit.)

Jason wrote:  "Guess what the last thing on Bin Laden's mind was--5.56 ammo!"

Airport Analogy

Dave wrote:  My father used to take us to the airport and watch the people coming and going. We were never going on an airplane, just went there to watch. People are interesting.
Barak had a great day , he should revel in his accomplishment.
I give him his due, but I feel less than honest if I don't say that I have mixed feelings.
I feel like I am at the airport again watching all the excitement but I am not going anywhere.

It's Raining Men

Judy stated:  "Osama Bin Laden is dead!!!!" 
Comments followed with Cindi saying, "And may his 72 Virgins be Men!!  Just sayin!!!  And myself adding the video, "It's Raining Men!  Hallelujah!."

Burial at Sea
Last night I posted:  Well, now what to do with the body..."I don't want him, you can have him, he's too bad for me...LET'S EXPORT HIM!"

Well, he got a proper, traditional Muslim preparation of being washed and wrapped in a white sheet just to be floated out on a board to sea.  It seems like a terrible waste of water to me and now there is MORE contamination in our oceans.  And I thought we were going "GREEN."  I'm with Glenn Beck--he should have been wrapped in bacon prior to "burial"...

No comments:

Post a Comment