Wednesday, July 6, 2011

40 Days and 40 Nights Challenge: Make the Pledge

HEROES
I have been blessed with many heroes in my life--some whom I know or have known personally and those I do not know but feel connected to their spirit.  Glenn Beck is one of my most recent heroes.  In honor of his final show on Fox News about two weeks ago, I decided to take his Make the Pledge--40 Days and 40 Nights.  For those of you who are unfamiliar,  "For the next 40 days and 40 nights, I pledge…I COVENANT to practice faith, hope and charity by doing these things."
On The People's Country I will be sharing my personal challenge and hopefully encourage you to join me.   Every day and night there will be a quoted scripture--some of my choice and others blindly chosen. There will be posted prayers--some original and others not.  Note:  Beware of random acts of kindness.

Day 1:  Wednesday, 6 July 2011
I arrived in Ohio yesterday to visit my family.  I thought about "The Pledge" while on the plane from DFW.  During my layover in South Carolina, the Casey Anthony verdict came in live via television.  People gathered in around to hear the plea.  When it was "not guilty," most were angry and wanted "someone to pay."  I explained many times to strangers, friends and family that it was impossible for a juror to say "beyond a shadow of a doubt" that she (the mother) was guilty.  Jurors did as they were instructed to do and I felt for them--their pain, uncertainty and putting the law before their own opinions.  As much as I WANTED a conviction of SOMEONE, it was not just.  We can not bring back Caylee Anthony but we can pray for her AND her family.

Scripture:  Psalm 46:10
"Be Still and Know that I am God."
I chose this scripture as it is personal.  My mother said this to me as I was facing a complicated medical procedure several years back.  I think of it often--when the world makes no sense or seems too complicated.  These words sum it all up and give me peace.  I am reminded that I am here because of God's grace--to step back and breathe--to take in the world as it is with all its imperfection.
Prayer
May we all open our hearts, minds and spirits--our VERY BEING to KNOWING you LORD and HONORING your works and words.  May you always prevail in our struggles in putting good before evil.  Amen

Night 2:  Wednesday, 6 July 2011
While on the plane, I was reading "BONHOEFFER, Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy."  It is and excellent and insightful book and a Beck favorite.  "As Adolf Hitler and the Nazis seduced a nation, bullied a continent, and attempted to exterminate the Jews of Europe, a small number of dissidents and saboteurs worked to dismantle the Third Reich from the inside.  One of these was Dietrich Bonhoeffer..." (from the inside cover of "BONHOEFFER")  As Bonhoeffer contemplates the existence of the church, he states, references Isaiah 55:11 in summary:  "God's world will never be denied."
Scripture:  Isaiah 56:9 - 56:13
"But as the heavens are high above the earth, 
So are My ways high above your ways 
And My plans above your plans.  
For as the rain or snow drops from heaven 
And returns not there, 
but soaks the earth 
And makes it bring forth vegetation, 
Yielding seed for sowing and bread for eating, 
So is the word that issues from My mouth:  
It does not come back to Me unfulfilled, 
But performs what I purpose, 
Achieves what I sent it to do.  
Yea, you shall leave in joy and be led home secure.  
Before you, mount and hill shall shout aloud, 
And all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.  
Instead of the brier, the cypress shall rise; 
Instead of the nettle, a myrtle shall rise.  
These shall stand as testimony to the LORD, As and everlasting sign that shall not perish"
(from the Tanakh:  The Holy Scriptures:  Nevi'im).
Prayer
I pray for those who seek vengeance instead of justice.  May they come to know you or know you again.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment